Monday 22 July 2013

Rapha Rising: La Centième

During my cycling study at loughborough I had managed to clock up half of the elevation gain in the challenge, I was feeling strong after the last day of the 9dayblock of interval training... however i certainly needed a rest day! i decided to do everything to recover properly friday and saturday with the intention of waking up sunday, seeing how i felt. Then attempting to do the biggest ride to date in terms of distance, time and elevation. I needed 3500m and wanted to do it in under 180km as I was unsure of how long I could ride for in one go. (my biggest ride to date being 137km)
I did research on some routes I could do finding a couple that started up in the peak. I wanted to ride from my house as I imagnied I would be rather tired after and would want to just collapse afterwards not dirve home. I based the route on the peak epic sportive after having it reccomened as a good route. So I planned a route the hillest way possible to bakewell to get to the start and missing of the north west section. I usually ride a 39-21 but swapped over to a 28 to go a bit steadier up the steep hills which there seemed to be a few.

http://app.strava.com/activities/68764730#

Sandwiches made and pockets full of other goodies I set off out, I was feeling pretty strong but had to remind myself to take the ride steady and not let my competetive side take control. The weather was fair but not the sun and heat we had been having, I liked that. This route took me on some roads I never knew existed and i am now glad I found! there were also a number of hidden gems of climbs too.

Longstone edge -
http://app.strava.com/activities/64264386

One of my new fave roads and climbs, starts off steep out of gt longstone then opens up along the side of the edge with stunning views south!

Cressbrook climb -
http://app.strava.com/activities/68764730#1328757980

horribly steep, very thankful for the lower gear, this one climbs steeply out of the valley from the mill past houses that tower above you and then are suddenly gone behind and below as you ascend the wall of a road!

Abney gliding club valley
http://app.strava.com/activities/68764730#1328758235

My fave road either up or down, you will more likely see horses and cyclists than cars. a good long ascent or decsent with great views and a good mix of fun cycling treats!

Hathersage to Higger tor/stanage edge/ ringinglow road
http://app.strava.com/activities/68764730#1328758288

Starts off on one of the more popular climbs in the peak, suprise view. This route however takes a turn left and goes up a road that can only resemble somewhere in europe with its constant 7% grade sweeping corners and steep drops over the barriers. A good 17 mins of climbing where you can really get into a rhythm and some of the best cycling scenery around.

Bradwell moor
http://app.strava.com/activities/68764730#1328758322

AKA The Beast of Bradwell - steep all the way and narrow too, the quiet alternative to winnats.


Riber
http://app.strava.com/activities/68764730#1328757795

Wheelspinning steep around the bends and towering above the town of matlock. Hitting gradients of 20+% frequently this hill is amazing. After a nice steady warm up to the bottom of the hairpins you turn off the road to try and defeat the half mile climb averging around 14% the feeling at the top of this one is one you will remember for a while!

i got back into belper and realised I had not done enough climbing so after riding round all the hills of belper I finally got home some 7 and half hours after i left. I had ensured that I kept fueling my body and stopped a couple of times to refil my water. By the time I was Home I felt suprisingly better than I had anticipated, I sat down downed a cold can of coca cola and plugged my garmin in to upload. whilst waiting I got changed and by the time I was back at my computer it was online. To start with I was most supprised about the position I had achived on a number of the segments, ensuring I did not push my self when the road went uphill, I was not expcting a 10th on winnats pass and 9th on riber along with a couple of other koms. Clearly the hard training at loughborough was paying off! The next biggest suprose came when I realised that I had another 100m to climb before I finished the challenge! I was not going to not finish the challenge after all that, so off I went to get changed and get the bike back out, I was out the gate to muffled sounds of my mum shouting 'your mad, havent you had enough cycling today' - Mum you don't understand. up and down the hill I live on sorted that out and I was very thankful to be done and back home for good this time.

I will certainly be thinking of doing more rides similar to this in the future. There is a nice feel to seting aside a whole day to just riding your bike. the sense of distance covered is phenominal too!

No comments:

Post a Comment